It was my first time going along and joining in on the hunting experience. I have to say that it is truly an adrenaline rush! We were up and at 'em at 6 a.m. the first day (each day got a little later!). However, each day we were out walking through cattails (which were at least a foot over my head) and CRP by 8 a.m. It was a little cold, but at least it didn't rain or snow.
I did have success in killing two pheasants in the 3 days of hunting. Not bad for the first time :)
On Saturday we had 7 people hunting and we filled out our limit...21 pheasants!
This was also Kory's first time "hunting". They walked along with us a couple of times, but mostly just stayed back at the truck and played while waiting for us to return.

Here's us and the boys with Jason's brother, Christopher (center), Zach (right) and Dan (back right)
Jason's dad just switched places with Dan.
It was just me, Jason and Dan on Monday. We saw around 30 rooster pheasants, missed quite a few, but did fill out our limit. I don't think I will ever be able to anticipate or get used to a pheasant exploding out from the grass right under my feet. This happened on Monday while walking a tree line. The rooster flew up, I screamed and Jason shot. I, of course, couldn't shoot since I was recovering from a heart attack. It was a good thing I had already gone to the bathroom, which is an experience in and of itself (multiple layers of clothes and a corn field!). Unfortunately, Jason just winged it and it took off running down the corn row never to been seen again.

I have found that I am extremely out of shape. I used muscles that haven't been used for quite some time. I will know for next year to climb multiple flights of stairs for a month before we go. Anyway, we had a very successful time hunting...51 pheasants total in 4 days.
We stopped in Fargo for breakfast and a visit with Jason's cousins on our way home on Tuesday. It was a great time visiting over a "delicious" McDonald's breakfast burrito and steak sandwich :)
We arrived home on Tuesday evening and jumped right back into our busy schedule. The boys had one day of school and had Thurs/Fri off for a teacher's convention. This weekend's schedule is to do NOTHING. My dad and his wife are coming into town this afternoon to visit. We are looking forward to relaxing and enjoying the time spent with them.
I hope that your week was filled with God's blessings, joy and maybe even some excitement. Take care and God bless.


No comments:
Post a Comment