This Christmas we made the 3 hour trip to to my mom's house in Balsam Lake, WI. We left on Friday, December 22nd, right before the big storm hit Wausau. We missed the ice, 8 inches of snow and a 20-hour power outage!
Keeping up with tradition, the boys and Grandma baked sugar cookies (mom doesn't have the patience!). Grandma had already had so many goodies at her place that looking at another cookie was just too much. I think most of the sugar cookies were tossed. Mostly because no one could stand to eat them after the boys finished decorating them -- two inches of frosting and another 1/8 inch of sprinkles. We also baked a cake in honor of Jesus' birthday, which we did eat.
The boys endured the time-honored tradition of having to wait to open gifts until after the evening Christmas Eve service and supper. At least this year's meal was a quick and easy clean-up...Turkey and Wild Rice Soup...yum, yum! It was a request from Grandpa. I'm really not sure why this tradition has stuck. I remember being a kid and having to wait the whole day before being able to rip off the wrapping paper to see what was inside. If I have to admit it, I really don't enjoy it as an adult!
Kyle was in charge of the camera for part of the gift opening. He did fairly well, only a few pictures that needed deleting. He said we needed a good picture of Jason and I so I think that this one will do :)
CHRISTMAS #2
On Christmas Day we went to my dad's house in Osceola, WI (20 minutes from mom's) and celebrated our second Christmas. It was a very relaxing day and there wasn't any waiting this time. We snacked vegetables (a welcomed addition to our diet), opened gifts, watched the movie "Cars" ( for about the 10th time). The boys got a tractor ride on Grandpa's tractor, played on the hay bails in the barn, and pet and fed the horses. They are anxiously awaiting summer when they can ride them. Later in the afternoon, we went to my aunt and uncle's house for ham, augratin potatoes, salads and too many scrumtious desserts to choose from.
After devoiding ourselves of all sanity for 10 minutes, we came back to reality which revealed two new monster trucks, a game of Perfection and roller blades. I now have monster trucks zooming across my kitchen floor and Kyle has even given his roller blades a whirl.
We came home on Wednesday, the 27th. Jason went back to work Thursday and Friday. The boys and I just relaxed and enjoyed not having an alarm clock to awaken us! We spent time with friends on Friday and Saturday evening and rang in New Year's by ourselves (barely made it until midnight)...watching the ball drop in Times Square. Jason spent New Year's Day watching football and bow hunting, I cleaned out closets, and the boys played playstation and enjoyed some time outside . I think all levels or episodes of the Legos Star Wars game have been conquered.
Nothing like an alarm clock to snap you back to reality...vacation is over and school is back in session. Today was brutal; however, I am hoping for sunshine and flowers tomorrow :)
I hope that you all had a safe and relaxing holiday season and that 2007 brings you many blessings.
1 comment:
Good to see you guys again. Thanks for sending your blog address. Your boys are growing up fast.
Happy New Year!
Post a Comment