"We walk by faith, not by sight." 2 Corinthians 5:7
Wednesday, April 16, 2008
What was I thinking?
I have been foolish enough to say "yes" to running a 5K race on June 1st. I said yes in hopes of getting into shape because the beaches of Hawaii are calling to Jason and I in June. Knowing myself as well as I do, I know that I need a goal (like a competition) to force me to exercise. Well, this week has begun my "training"...sit-ups everyday, lifting weights three days and then running the other three. Yesterday was the first day of running. Since I only have 6 weeks before this race I need to run 1.7 miles three times a week for the next two weeks and continue increasing the distance until I can successfully reach the 3 point whatever miles by June 1st. Yea....that's not going to happen! Seriously, what was I thinking...I have not so much as jogged any distance in years and I mean years (like high school), let alone exercise with any consistency! What makes me think I can just pick up running 3 miles in six weeks? I came to this realization shortly after I started and couldn't even make it to the next block before my chest felt like it was going to burst into pieces and my lungs were going to collapse. But because of my stubbornness I proceeded to just walk for a little bit and try running again...nope...I must succumb to the pain! So the remaining 1.25 miles I walked. By the time I reached my front door, my lungs had recovered but my shins were begging me to stop moving them. Shin splints hurt like a banshee! I don't think that running is in the cards for me. Jason has encouraged me not to give up, but in the end I would rather be able to walk than say I ran a 5K race. And I think that my family would also appreciate me being in a pleasant mood ;) I will let the beaches of Hawaii now be me goal and continue with my exercise routine but will walk the 1.5 miles instead of running! I have a greater respect and admiration for all of my friends that have competed in the Iron Man, triathlons, marathons and the like. Kudos to you my friends! But just know, this friend will not join the ranks with you as one who has completed such things!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment