The only good thing about the winter season is that it brings along with it Christmas. A wonderful time of year...families gathering together to share in the celebration of our Savior's birth. I love the Christmas light displays (some people are so creative, we are not among those people). Each house decorated in its own special way. I am not crazy about the hustle and bustle between Thanksgiving and Christmas, but the anticipation of Christmas subsides the irritation.
We are starting a new "tradition" this year...we are going to cut down our own Christmas tree. I know that this is not a new thing, it's just one that we haven't done yet. The boys are so excited to go "hunt" for that perfect tree.
We have already begun the Christmas festivities as Jason's office had a party for the Big Brother/Big Sister program here in Wausau. The kids came up to the office where they met their mentors for the day and were able to do several activities (i.e. picture with Santa, crafts, cookie decorating). The best part of the day was sitting around the Christmas tree and letting all those kids rip into their pile of presents and seeing the joy on their faces and sending each family home with two laundry baskets full of food. What an honor it was to have a part in blessing these children and their families.
We are joining in the "hustle and bustle" of the season as we have a weekend packed with Christmas programs and parties. Starting with the boys' Christmas program on the 13th, one office party on the 14th (and Jason's birthday), another on the 15th and the youth groups' on the 16th (at our house). Whew! Speaking of parties...who ever came up with the "White Elephant" gift exchange? I am not a big fan. This is an event where you grab a present with high hopes it's not someone else's garbage and to either be elated that is not or left with the thought of "What in the world am I going to do with this?". And to throw a little wrench in the festivities, your "gift" can be stolen only for you to repeat the process again. Have I mentioned how much I dislike this "gift exchange"?
I apologize that this post doesn't warrant warm fuzzies, I am truly thankful for the blessing God has given to me and by family...winter just rubs me the wrong way!
Here's hoping that you and your families are staying warm and "enjoying" this winter season :)
1 comment:
I bet you think I'm crazy for wishing I had some of your snow. I'm sure you'd be glad to share!
Hope your schedule slows a bit so you can enjoy some quiet evenings. Phoebe's B-day is in a few days. Can you even believe we have pre-teens???? Scary.
We love seeing what you guys are up-to. Sorry we missed you at Thanksgiving. We'll be back in KC at Christmas.
Post a Comment