"We walk by faith, not by sight." 2 Corinthians 5:7

Tuesday, December 02, 2008

A month of the Rieth's

I can't believe it's been a month since I last posted anything. So I'd better get busy catching everyone up on our lives.

November was filled with the boys' birthdays, parent/teacher conferences, hunting and Thanksgiving.
BOYS' BIRTHDAYS!
We have a family tradition for birthdays...the boys get to pick wherever they want to eat on their birthday and do whatever they want to do for that day. So on the 9th our beloved Kory chose McDonald's (...ugh!) for his birthday dinner and he wanted to just hang out at home. Unfortunately Kyle's birthday fell on the Thursday so his day was spent at school, but he chose a local restaurant...2510 Family Restaurant for his birthday dinner. Since their birthdays are only 4 days apart, we decided to have a bowling party (that's what us Wisconsinites do) for them the weekend after their birthdays. It's a pretty sweet set-up...we got 3 large pizzas, unlimited refills on two pitchers of soda, however many games can be bowled in 1 hour and a bowling pin for each of them (which their friends all signed). They each invited 3 friends and bowled away. My mom and her husband were also able to join us for that weekend.

Kory and his friends

Kyle and his friends


The table and bowling lanes

The new 7 year old!
The new 11 year old!


The cupcakes that were purchased were mostly frosting...yuck!...and well, Jason couldn't resist...and here is the result...hee, hee....

PARENT/TEACHER CONFERENCES
The boys' parent/teacher conferences went very well. Kory's teacher, Mrs. Lewis, had nothing but wonderful things to say about Kory...such as...Kory is a sweet boy who is kind, compassionate and respectful of everyone. Everyone loves him and wants to be his friend. Academically Kory is doing marvellously...he is in the 2nd highest reading group, a very good writer (thought completion, spelling and penmanship), and a quick thinker in math. So no complaints here on the parent end...we are very proud of him. Kyle's teacher, Mr. Miller, also had nothing but good things to say about Kyle. He is above-average to average in all of the subjects. Mr. Miller has been impressed by Kyle's responsibility and goal setting (as have Jason and I). He has become the little student, not that he ever wasn't, but we have just noticed him settling down and school becoming more important to him. There is much less reminding him of what needs to be done! So again, no complaints here...we are also very proud of Kyle.
HUNTING
Well, there's not much to report here because I don't believe there are any deer left in Wisconsin! Here is how our opener day unfolded....up and at 'em at 5 am and in the tree stand by 6:15 am and then we sit....and sit....and sit! It was a extremely frigid day that day so after bundling up with many layers and feeling much like the kid on A Christmas Story...I still froze! I made it until 9 am sitting quietly in the stand not seeing anything except a few chickadees and two blue jays. I packed it up and headed to the truck. Oh and to top it off I came down with pink-eye the day before so I had an itchy eye and had to wear my glasses. If a deer came along I most likely wouldn't have been able to shoot it anyway because I wouldn't have seen it through the fog on my glasses! Jason came back about 9:30 and then we met up with a friend. Jason and six other guys drove several sections of woods from 10 am to noon while I sat in the warm truck thawing my toes. We headed to a little bar for lunch....yuck!...the food was good but we smelled so bad after leaving, the deer could probably smell us miles away! Well, we were back in the stand by 2 pm and sat some more...still not seeing anything. It's really bad when you can't even think of anything to think about...nothing like making time go by slower! I'm not a huge conversationalist and do quite well being silent, but 11 hours of silence can make one go insane! Anyway, at 5 pm we headed home with not one single deer. Jason has been out twice since opening day, but has yet to see a deer let alone shoot one. Oh well, there's always next year...so all the hunter's say! I really just want to see one and shoot one so I can say that I did it and be done with this nonsense!
THANKSGIVING
My dad and his wife were able to join us for Thanksgiving. They arrived on Tuesday afternoon and stayed until 4 pm Thanksgiving day. My dad's wife, Sheila, had to work on Friday so they had to leave on Thanksgiving. We had a wonderful time with them. My dad taught me how to play cribbage. It's something I have always wanted to learn how to play since I was a child. I remember sitting on dad's lap every Thanksgiving/Christmas/Easter watching him and Grandma playing, but could never understand what they were doing. I can't say that I completely understand everything now, but it's slowly sinking in. I guess I understood it enough to beat him twice! :D We enjoyed turkey and all the fixin's and stuffed ourselves to misery. Afterwards I think all of us took a short nap with, of course, the TV playing in the background. The rest of the week, we hung around here doing absolutely nothing! I mean nothing! We actually planned a trip to Wal-Mart just to get out of the house...now that's insane.
We are now back into the grind and the craziness of the Christmas season begins. Kyle started basketball today so it's practices/games twice a week through December. This weekend Jason and I have tickets to go see The Nutcracker here at the Grand Theater. We somehow have to squeeze in getting our Christmas tree beforehand. We have Christmas party at Jason's office on Sunday with a busy week to follow! More Christmas parties next weekend and then preparing to have all of Jason's family here for Christmas! I hope I can keep everything in order and stay sane.
In two weeks we'll have an addition to share with you all...hee, hee! You'll just have to wait. Until then have a wonderful week.





No comments: